Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Requiem: So I was Reminded Why Helping Newbs Might be Bad...

I'm not opposed to answering questions in an MMO, especially when they're about something like the Requiem item upgrade system. It's definitely not that straightforward at first, and the crafting materials can be a little vague about what they are used for unless you go hunting through the websites or wikis for the game.

So when this random, half naked Kruxena in one of the first few outposts asks about my glowing sword, and then of course about the Item Upgrade System, I'm not surprised and actually gave him a fairly good TL:DR version of the crafting system. Shrug off the interruption and continue on my marry way with Kilo.

Later on, when we get to the Cargo Field for our last scroll quests before reaching level 20, we run into the same newbie. He's still not really all that geared, and he's pretty hesitant to actually hit the mobs in the area - they're all level 19 - 20+. He's a rogue, he's new and he's not really all that well geared it seems, so again we just shrug and continue with what we're doing.

After watching us slaughter a few of the huge golems we needed for a scroll quest, the newb rogue asks, "u want 2 party?".

First of all, I cannot stand the while "texting speak" thing. If you're not using at least decent spelling I'm so not going to respond to you because my Inner Literature Student is too busy ranting about your language in Foamy the Squirrel's voice.

Kilo, being a bit extroverted compared to myself in these kinds of situations, says "Only if you bring the cocain."...and the rogue asks about where to find cocain IN GAME. O.o

Next he quips off about how he's level 15!

To save him some stress, I explain that he should be down in the pond area outside the South Watchtower doing the hand-spider/stalk monster/scorpidile quests since they're more the appropriate level for him - I'm so not into carrying people in MMOs.

He then says, "i hate quests" which is something a lot of people don't like in MMOs, and then follows it up with "will quests level me?".

...
....
.....

Requiem starts you out on a quest chain that will level you to about level 7 or so without killing a god damn thing, which also teaches you about the game itself. From there, numerous amounts of NPCs have quest, and there are scroll quests you can obtain as well - like any MMO, it's leveling is centered around quests!

I point out that quests are really the easiest and only way to actually level in the game, and Kilo and I promptly start ignoring him and work on killing off our quest monsters while /facepalming in RL. >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment