Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Little Update

Well, I'm really terrible at keeping up on a blog, probably due to my hideous lack of time sense. So let's have a run down of what video game related stuff I've been doing as of late.

Tried Dawntide, liked a lot of what they wanted to do, but there were so few people in the game after a while because of how long it's taking them to make everything work right. There's some ambitious stuff in there, so I'm not surprised that it's taking a while, but any game gets boring without people, no matter how good it is. I'll look in on it again every few months to see if it's worth going back to, since it's really the only MMO that's sparked my Lovely's interest in a while.

As Dawntide was panning out for us, I ended up going back to EQ2 for a bit with my fiance, but in the end it wasn't really holding our attention well due to being stuck with one big game of catching up to do raid content and having trouble finding an RP guild we liked that fit both our characters. Plus, I ended up having a horrible falling out with someone who has basically had this pattern of drawing me into really engaging RP, with great ideas...and then just tossing me aside when someone new comes along and catches her attention; it happened in multiple ways, across multiple games, and I really felt like I was being taken for granite. Unfortunately, the way things went down lead me to really not feeling all that enthused about EQ2 anymore.

My Lovely hasn't been up for much video gaming as of late, so after Dawntide sort of faded out from us, we stopped being able to do much together - she doesn't have all the subscription based games that my fiance and I do, and hasn't had the time/money to get them without being sure she'll like them. Totally understandable to me, since I myself won't play a game I can't beta test or trial first.

So the fiance and I had a brief stint in City of Heroes/Villains. I love the Architect system, and wish more games would do something like it, especially the upcoming White Wolf OWoD MMO and SW: TOR. Even with the nifty options and additions they've made, both of us have had a really hard time getting back into it. I'm debating on whether or not I'm going to reactivate my account, since it lapsed with how weird my CA payouts have been due to the holidays.

Earlier this month, a friend of mine gave me a Buddy Pass for FFXIV, which was part of the Collector's Edition special. Basically, it lets the friend of the CE purchaser try the game for a month, then gives them the option to just flat out subscribe to it - no paying for a digital download or retail copy of the game. Being rather poor while waiting on my disability case, I called it a win. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, SE's made the game subscription free for now due to disliking how the game turned out; eventually it will be subscription based again, but SE refuses to make it so until it's as shiny as all the other recent and good FF titles.

On top of that, I've got a VIP pass to the Rift: Planes of Telara beta. It's still a largely closed beta, so I can't exactly say much about it, but so far I've really liked what I'm seeing. There are still some glitches and bugs, and some things that are missing, but it's the start of closed betas so I'm not all that concerned yet. Plus, I trust Scott Hartsman after watching him save the EverQuest: Shadows of Luclin release fiasco. >.>

I've realised that there are a lot of little, almost silly things that I end up liking in games. In FFXIV, it's the realistic animations (you actually stop running the way you would in RL), the fact that all the clothing items are visible AND resize properly, and the lighting dynamics - when I walk into a building, it's darker and slowly lightens up as the character's eyes adjust while there is a very bright almost blinding light as I step out of a building during the day, that goes away as the character's eyes adjust. They're little, non-mechanical things that are just super awesome in my book. Rift has a few too, but I can't exactly say much about them yet...

In mid-January, I'll be starting college again, this time in a specific game art and design course. As much as I think a flat Animation degree would give me more options, it also requires a lot of hand drawing...which I can't do easily because of the rheumatoid arthritis. With this course, everything is done in 3dsMAX or a graphics editing program like Photoshop. Good thing is that most of my credits are going to transfer once I take care of a bill with AIO, and there's like 60 credits lying around from it.

Best of all, I don't have to pay a damn thing right yet. I got all but 400.00 in grants, and then financed through the college itself for about the same rate as what a student loan would be. Plus, Westwood's student store has the option to "bill student account", which takes the money from that pool instead of having to pay it then get reimbursed. Definitely picking up a copy of Windows 7 since it's like 30.00 for students! I know that they'll have a version of 3dsMAX up, but I'm not sure if they'll have the entire Adobe Master Suite, or just the Creative Suite.

Not going to ditch out on my copy of Poser any time soon though, as I don't think I have any classes that will use the 3dsMAX till later in the academic year, if at all before the summer. We'll see though.

For now though, I'm basically playing the Rift beta while the fiance's at work or asleep, whenever there's a window open for it and then playing FFXIV when he's home, since he got a Buddy Pass too. Kinda wish I could get one for my Lovely, but it's not really her style of game and she doesn't really have the time for it right now. =/

No comments:

Post a Comment